May I take this opportunity to warmly welcome you back after the summer break. I really do hope that you have had an amazing time and made plenty of happy memories. Although seven weeks seemed a long time to be away from school, I am sure that you will agree with me, when I say that the time has flown by. Maybe not! I hope that we have all come back to school, full of energy and enthusiasm, eager and willing to learn.
So here we all are, at the start of a new academic year. Our class has year 5 and year 6 children within it, 25 in total, a mixture of 8 year 5 children and 17 year 6. For the majority of the time, you will be taught by myself. However, on occasions, Mrs. Bradbury will cover the class. This is perhaps when I have to attend meetings or courses or have my management time, within the school day. In the mornings, the core areas of English, maths and science will be delivered, supported in these lessons by Mrs. Farrington. In the afternoons, the other subjects will be taught, supported by Mrs. Bradbury. This term I have planned lots of exciting opportunities within our school curriculum and I am sure that each and every one of you will enjoy the experiences and love coming to school to learn.
Here are a few things that I am sure you and your parents would like to know:
- PE will take place on Thursdays and Fridays. Please ensure that you have an appropriate kit to wear, linked to the school uniform policy. It might be a good idea to keep your PE kit in school all week, just in case the sessions change. When the colder weather comes, I would advise you all to bring in jogging bottoms, or leggings and a thick sweatshirt or top.
- I would like you to try and read every night. It will help you with your learning in school and help you to relax in an evening, perhaps even before bed.
- Homework will be issued on a Friday to be collected on the following Thursday. This will compromise of a mixture of maths tasks, maths papers, reading comprehension activities, handwriting, spelling and grammar.
- You will have a spelling test every week on a Wednesday afternoon.
- French continues to be taught on a Thursday afternoon by Madam Cheded.
- My planning time and management time will be covered by different staff members: Mrs. Bradbury, music; Madam Cheded, French; and Miss Threadgold…P.E. These times will normally be on a Thursday afternoon and a Friday afternoon.
Once again, can I take this opportunity to say welcome back and let’s get started on what I regard to be, an exciting year ahead.
In my many years at this school, I have always had an open-door policy, no worry or concern is too small. You can make an appointment to see me or have a quick word with me at the door before school, in the morning, or at the end of school day.
If your child has worries, they must come and talk to me. They can also communicate their concerns with notes in a worry box. There are plenty of people in my class, who will help and support your child.
I am thrilled and honoured to be teaching your child and together, we will make sure that your child is happy, enjoys learning and makes excellent progress in school.
K. L. Erskine