Every day in Reception we provide meaningful opportunities to write, which are often linked to our topic and weekly core text. Shopping list writing is always very popular whether it is for planning a party, a picnic or ingredients for cooking.
It is exciting for children to see their writing used in real life contexts!
To support your Reception child’s early writing at home, encourage them to:
- Say the word(s)/ sentence that they’d like to write out loud more than once
- Decide which word they need to write first
- Listen carefully for the sounds that they can hear, and work out which to write first
- Write letters in sequence to represent the sounds that they can hear
- Read their writing to check that they haven’t forgotten any words or sounds