Sport at St Helen's School
Welcome to our sports page
At Helen's we prioritise supporting our children to excel in sport and to develop a lifelong desire to lead healthy, active lifestyles.
On our PE pages you will find all the details about curriculum lessons, after-school clubs, events and links to sports clubs in your local area.
St.Helen's is a place where physical activity is encouraged, success is celebrated but, particularly as the children move into Key stage 2, our sense of fair play and sportsmanship is developed.
Why is is PE so important?
At St.Helen's we recognise the need to provide children with regular opportunities to be active, to develop key skills within PE and to experience and have opportunities to shine in a variety of sports. Although children will demonstrate progress in physical education itself, they will also learn life long lessons engaging in PE to:
- Develop resilience, even when they want to quit, they keep going!
- To be disciplined, focused and dedicated.
- To learn to take care of their body.
- To work with others and to be good team mates, gracious in defeat and humble in success.
- To deal with disappointment when they don't get that placing or title they'd hoped for, but still they go back week after week, giving it their best shot.
- To learn to make and accomplish goals.
- To learn that it takes hours and hours, years and years of hard work and practice to create a champion and that success does not happen overnight.
- To be proud of small achievements, and to work towards long term goals.
- To make life-long friendships, create lifelong memories, to be proud of their achievements.